Portabello Burger

June 7, 2010

June is Burger Extravaganza Month here at Foodo.
You can also check out all of our burgers HERE

~ Wanda ~

After moving to the great northwest I became motivated to get out and start exercising again. With the kids in school I have lots of time to train. I decided to sign up to do the Danskin Triathlon which will be held in Seattle on Aug 15th. It consists of a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and a 5K run. I love the biking and swimming portions but the running is my least favorite.

Last time I did a triathlon was 7 yrs ago and I trained hard but didn’t lose any weight because I was always drinking sports drinks and eating power bars etc… This time I am taking a different approach. Still exercising 5 days a week alternating between the 3 events but I am eating differently. I am not cutting out meat completely but trying some healthy options. I often forget about making Portabella burgers but once again my husband (the shopper) found them on sale and brought home the biggest most beautiful mushrooms and I couldn’t wait to grill them up. And then to just top it off you can serve them with baked sweet potato fries. I have been using sweet potatoes in place of regular potatoes in many of our dishes.

one year ago: Grilled Vegetable Coponata

So here you go, my favorite veggie burger.
It is so satisfying I don’t miss the meat at all!!

Portabello Burger

4 portobello mushroom caps

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon minced garlic

salt and pepper to taste

4 slices provolone cheese

Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning a few times.

Preheat grill for medium-high heat.

Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.

Place on bun with mayo and Dijon mustard. I also added tomato and lettuce.

1. June 7, 2010 8:24 am

These were DELICIOUS Wanda!

2. youngwifey permalink
    June 7, 2010 8:41 am

I’ll pass this recipe on to my mom. I love the subtle allium in the background!

June 7, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks for noticing! I planted a bunch last fall, but only this one came up :-( Those darned squirrels ate them up.

June 7, 2010 9:28 am

Mmmmmmmm…This looks/sounds delicious!!!

Your exercise regimen is inspiring!

4. June 7, 2010 3:48 pm

I do love portebello burgers, though I always like to add a sauce with a little kick to offset some of the mushroom’s earthiness-maybe some wasabi or chipotle mayo. I’ll have to try this marinated version; perhaps the vinegar’s tanginess will do the same thing.

5. June 7, 2010 6:29 pm

those look soo yummy!

6. June 7, 2010 6:36 pm

Best of luck!! You’re amazing!

7. June 7, 2010 6:52 pm

I love portobello burgers! These look really tasty. Good luck on your race!

8. June 7, 2010 7:03 pm

Boy, I’m a meat lover but that gorgeous photo makes even me think these would be excellent!

9. June 7, 2010 8:16 pm

I love Portobello Burgers!!! YUM!

10. June 8, 2010 12:09 am

Yummy! I love portobello burgers. I’m craving one now.

11. Rick permalink
    June 8, 2010 6:27 am

So happy you have a veggie burger up!

12. June 8, 2010 10:19 am

Love a good portobello burger!

13. June 8, 2010 1:13 pm

Great looking recipe!

14. June 8, 2010 3:59 pm

Thank you for inspiring me. I’m not a big “meat” fan so hamburgers are not on my plate except in an emergency. However, I’m going for the Portobello Burger. I can’t wait to make it.

Thanks,
    Joanne

15. June 8, 2010 7:54 pm

Good luck in the triathlon. I admire your ability to be able to do that. Great portabello burger. They really can be as tasty as meat burgers.

16. June 8, 2010 11:36 pm

Oh, greatest of wishes on your triathlon training…I know you will succeed… Also, yippee on a vegi burger I am so pleased. I am the vegetarian on the team. Although I have been a professional chef and prepared many a meat filled dishes, I have not eaten meat since the age of 7 (and then it was forced:) It is a bit of a mystery that my meat preparations do well with tasters, hard to trust a vegetarian chef with your meatballs lol. Can’t wait to try this…but I have saved your other burger delights as well:)

17. June 9, 2010 12:27 am

I love mushrooms! They’ve been my fave veggie ever since I gave up meat. I like your suggestion of the sweet potato fries too…can’t get enough of them!

18. June 9, 2010 1:25 am

It’s inspiring to know you love all the outdoor sports. You deserve all the good, healthy food. Your burger looks healthy and delicious. I love sweet potatoes very much, too. Have it at home all the time :D

19. June 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Simply Delicious! I think this would help with the world cup blues.

20. July 4, 2010 9:36 am

This would be a tasty mushroom burger!

21. Dionne Baldwin permalink
    July 13, 2010 6:32 pm

This looks good enough to cook TONIGHT. But alas dinner is already cooking…tomorrow…

22. foodlvr permalink
    August 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I’ve had portobello burgers before. They are just delicious but I really like the marinade you made. This sounds terrific.

23. March 6, 2013 10:57 pm

I really, really dislike the taste of balsamic vinegar. Is there anything else that I can marinate the mushrooms with? The burger looks phenomenal!

1. » Blog Archive » Raw Key Lime Cheesecake, Back to Basics Sliders, and Portobello Burgers