No Grease Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

May 16, 2010

I’ve been gearing up for our Burger Extravaganza it starts June 1st.  So what do you serve with those burgers?  Fries of course!  If you follow/fan us on FaceBook you’ll be able to keep up with what delectables are coming up – there are even a couple of sneak peek photos!

Since we pack a lot of calories in those burgers, I like/try to keep the accompaniment on the less greasy side.  These Crispy Sweet Potato Fries are just the ticket to burger and fries BLISS!  I like them even better than regular deep fried fries!  That may not sound like much, but one of my nick names is pomme frite.

What’s the trick?  A coating on the outside and baked up in a REALLY HOT oven: set-off-the-smoke-alarm HOT!

one year ago: Dutch Baby,  Prime Rib on the Grill, Devilish Wings

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

Pre-heat oven to 475°-500°

Get your spice mix ready

I’ve used Justin’s Smoky Paprika one, the Memphis Rub and a very basic one that consists of:

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

1/2 Tbsp Course Ground Black Pepper

1/2  Tbsp Brown Sugar

1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic

1 Tbsp Dried Parsley

Mix together and set aside

1/4 Cup Spice Mix

1/4 Cup Flour

Peel, rinse and cut into strips – the thinner the strips the faster they cook!

2 Large Sweet Potatoes

Blanch in boiling water 2-3 minutes

Drain and spray with COLD water to stop the cooking – you DO NOT want mush!

Dry with paper or dish towel

In large bowl whisk until all frothy (no goo hanging out underneath)

2 Egg Whites

Toss in Sweet Potatoes and coat well

Sprinkle Spice Mix over a couple tablespoons at a time and mix after each addition.  It will become gooey which means crispier fries, but don’t over-work it!

Spray a pizza screen WELL and distribute fries so they don’t over-crowd each other – you don’t want to steam them!

Bake for 20 minutes and check on them – keep checking every 5 or so minutes so they don’t burn – cooking time will vary based on the thickness of your fries.

You could bake on a cookie cooling rack too – I haven’t tried it on a sheet pan yet, but think I will next time, these stick a lot if you don’t spray well!

1. Wanda permalink
    May 17, 2010 8:38 am

These look great…I prefer sweet pototo fries over regular as well…
    I will try these with the coating next time….

2. May 17, 2010 8:48 am

Nice – I prefer sweet potato fries too – fewer carbs. I’ll bet if I teach the kids how to make these we’ll have them all summer long.

3. May 17, 2010 1:37 pm

I have a true love for sweet potato fries. I forgot how easy they are to make, thanks for reminding me!

4. May 18, 2010 9:43 am

I love me some Sweet Potato FF! I will have to try your recipe out.
    When I used to make them at the restaurant I made a great dipping sauce for them. I would get a tub of the whipped butter and let it come to room temperature. Then I added maple syrup, a touch of vanilla, nutmeg, cayenne & blended it good.
    Who doesn’t love Butter? =)

May 18, 2010 11:10 am

Sounds AMAZING!
      But, the reason behind switching to sweet pots and the no grease was to AVOID extra calories.
      You are a devil for suggesting such things ;-)

5. Rick permalink
    May 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Those are my all time favorite snack! And this version is far healthier to what I am used to.

6. May 18, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice! I love Sweet potato fries. I love the no grease concept. Thanks for sharing :)

7. May 19, 2010 12:01 am

Mmm. I heart potatoes, especially in french fries format! So is the secret the egg white coating? They look spicy and tasty.

8. May 19, 2010 7:18 am

looks great! i love sweet potato fries baked, but have never tried them with the egg white. we’ll have to try that next time. great post!

9. May 19, 2010 7:54 am

Sweet Potato Fries are so good, thanks for sharing!

10. May 19, 2010 8:55 am

I love sweet potato fries. Last season I was grilling my fries and they were good, but this recipe looks awesome. I’m going to have to try your recipe.

Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

11. May 19, 2010 9:00 am

Love sweet potato fries, especially the less guilty conscience kind!

12. May 19, 2010 10:08 am

No grease!! You are talking to me now. As far as I love to eat fries. I hate actually frying them.

13. May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Love sweet potato fries, but have not been able to get them exactly right. Will be trying this.

14. May 19, 2010 7:47 pm

They look fabulous and I like the egg coating. I will try that next time I make these :)

15. May 19, 2010 7:54 pm

This sounds so so good and I know it will be a winner at our house. I can’t wait to try this..fries..without the frying..fabulous!

16. May 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Love sweet potato fries. These look great

17. May 20, 2010 5:55 am

Yummy this is gonna make me eat it everyday :)

18. May 20, 2010 8:20 am

Ok – those have got to be some of the best looking sweet potato fries I have ever seen!

19. May 20, 2010 9:28 am

Sweet potato fries are the absolutely best fries you can get!

20. May 20, 2010 10:36 am

I adore fries, especially sweet potato fries! Mine usually come out soggy. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

21. May 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Great looking sweet potato fries!

22. June 9, 2010 9:08 am

This reminds me of something that Oprah’s personal chef Rosie did with regular potatoes, but using sweet potatoes is genius, and so much healthier–and I love the spice mixture here. Thank you for a great recipe!

June 9, 2010 12:06 pm

Thank YOU!
      I have that cook book – I think I’ll go dig it out, now that you’ve reminded me.

23. June 9, 2010 10:34 am

I love sweet potato fries – your fries look fantastic! I wish I had some for lunch today.

24. June 9, 2010 7:51 pm

This is so perfect. I’ve haven’t been able to get crispy oven baked sweet potato fries yet. Thanks for posting this. Definitely bookmarked. :-)

25. June 10, 2010 8:10 am

I ADORE sweet potato fries, but I’ve never known how to get them as crispy as I want. Now I know!! Thank you!!

26. June 12, 2010 4:43 pm

I love sweet potato fries. I never thought about using a pizza screen to help crisp them up more. Thanks for the idea.

27. June 14, 2010 8:07 pm

These were really good! I have recently been trying to get crispy sw potato fries and nothing worked. I will try it next time without the flour, I’m curious if it would work.

June 14, 2010 9:43 pm

So glad you liked them. Please, if you do try them without the flour, come back and let us know how they turned out.
      Your site is truly decadent! I think I gained five pounds just scrolling through the deliciousness;-)
      ~Mary

28. June 29, 2010 10:46 am

These look dangerously good. I can never pass up sweet potato fries when I see them on a menu. To know that I can make them at home — in the oven, no less — means I will be buying A LOT of sweet potatoes at the store from now on. ;)

29. Janine permalink
    June 29, 2010 10:13 pm

I have been making sweet potato fries like this for a long time a couple tips though… try corn starch instead of floor they come out even crispier, and line your pan with wax paper or parchment paper and they never stick!! and you can use even less oil!!

June 30, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks for the tips! I’ll give it a go the next time ’round.
      ~Mary

30. Still Learning permalink
    September 29, 2010 9:33 pm

These were great! I have been married for two years and somehow, with the ring, came the cooking! :) I have been trying to cut calories anywhere I can (my hubby despises “diet food”) and every time I have tried sweet potato fries, they are basically the same as a baked sweet potato. These were outstanding. I made my own meatball sandwiches and these were perfect on the side. Thanks so much!

September 30, 2010 7:56 am

I can’t thank you enough for coming back here and letting me know! Enjoy your time in the kitchen and make your hubby do the dishes ;-)
      Mary

31. Jack permalink
    October 13, 2010 7:52 am

Tried it on a cooling rack— came out dry and hard.

October 13, 2010 9:03 am

That will happen if you cook them too long. I got side-tracked the last time I made them, and unfortunately it was the time I sliced them the thinnest. Needless to say the kitchen was a tad smoky and the the fries turned out as yours: dry & HARD!
      ~ Mary

32. Hope permalink
    February 19, 2011 1:18 am

I just tried these with just salt, egg, and cornstarch. They were amazing, perfectly crispy, not bland at all. Next time I have to try the parchment paper though.

February 19, 2011 8:36 am

Great to hear, thank you for coming back and letting us know!

33. Gretchen Cardosoa permalink
    April 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Fantastic! Worked great with Gluten Free flour, too. Tried your recipe with Okinawan (purple) sweet potatoes. Dipped them in home made Mango BBQ sauce. Loved it! I baked with convection setting and started to have a burn at 20 min. Next time I’ll do 18. Your instructions were great. Thanks!

April 19, 2011 6:33 am

Wonderful!
      I wish I had a convection oven, I envy you!
      ~ Mary

34. August 3, 2011 11:31 pm

This is the best way I’ve seen to get baked fries crispy. Love it!

August 4, 2011 7:20 am

Thank you Tessa!

35. September 4, 2012 8:24 pm

I’m going to try these this week and I can’t wait. I’m not eating wheat or gluten these days but I’ve found a good rice flour that works well for frying, though I might try one of the “gluten-free” all purpose flours. I’m still experimenting with which wheat flour replacement works best since it depends so much on the recipe (i.e bread/ crepes/ thickener / crispy coating)

36. May 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for posting this. I’ve had good sweet potato fries, and bad sweet potato fries. The bad ones are always too greasy and end up being soggy. These look like the right way to make them. Will be giving this a try soon!

1. Enjoy this Stupidly Simple Snack: Baked Sweet Potato Fries | Stone Mist Apartments | Houston, TX
  2. of the moment {2.18.12} | The Daily Crumb