Whole Wheat Pita

May 10, 2010

This was one of the more fun recipes I’ve done for Foodo!  I had made a batch of Shawarma and wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out as the first one I tried was awful!  We didn’t have high hopes so John proceeded to snarf down almost all our pita we had purchased special for this go around – so when it turned out decidedly delicious – what was a girl to do!?

I turned to the Joy of Cooking and whipped up a batch of whole wheat pita PRONTO so we could enjoy the rest of that grilled meat!  Shawarma post to come soon, very soon.

one year ago: Banh Mi,  Mango Pork Fajita Bowl

Whole Wheat Pita

adapted from Joy of Cooking

Makes 8 pita at 3 ounces each.

Combine in mixing bowl:

2 1/2 Cups plus 2 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour

2 Tbsp Ground Flax

1/4 Cup Wheat Germ

1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar

1 1/2 tsp Salt

4 tsp Dry Yeast

Add:

2 Tbsp Melted Butter

1 1/4 Cups room-temp. Water

Mix by hand or on low speed for one minute until ingredients are all blended.

Knead by hand or with a dough hook on low for 10 minutes.

Dough should be smooth, soft and elastic – adding more flour is/as needed.

The dough should be slightly tacky, but not sticky.

Transfer dough to a greased mixing bowl – turning dough over to coat all sides.  Cover with saran wrap and let rise at room-temp until doubled in size – takes an hour to an hour and a half.

Punch down dough and divide into 8 pieces – rolling each piece into balls.

Cover and let rise 20 min.

Preheat oven to 450

Use a pizza or baking stone or use an inverted baking sheet as your “hearth”.

On a very lightly floured surface, roll out each ball of dough into 1/8″ thick 8″ round circle.

spray/spritz stone with water wait 30 seconds put on rolled discs wait 3 minutes let them puff up

wait another 30 seconds then remove from oven

apparently if you don’t remove them in 30 seconds after they puff they won’t separate when they’re cool.

May 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Fun new recipe! Who ever knew it could be so easy?

2. Veronica permalink
    May 10, 2010 1:48 pm

Wow, your bread really puffed nicely. I made some pita bread and my pizza stone cracked about halfway through. Any idea why that would happen?

May 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey Veronica -
      It has been my experience that stones will break if you don’t put them in the oven while it heats up, it already has a hair-line crack before you start or if you put some extrememly cold on top of them when they’re hot. They don’t like drastic temperature fluctuations.
      Get yourself a new one – after fifteen years of using mine for a chair that lost it’s woven seat, I don’t know how I’ve lived without it for so long!
      ~Mary

• Veronica permalink
        May 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the tip. I suspect it might have had a hairline crack, as I did preheat it in the oven 30 minutes before starting the bread. I got it from a friend who didn’t want it any more so I had no idea how to care for one and washed it with soap before using and wonder if that damaged it too. I found out later you aren’t supposed to wash them with soap b/c it will flavor the food you cook on it. Thankfully we noticed no soapy taste on the pita bread that turned out before the stone exploded into pieces. I tried to cook the remaining bread on the cracked stone but it wouldn’t puff after that. I will have to get another one. LOL on using it as a seat for 15 years!

3. May 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Hey Mary, Love the pita bread. I read on one blog that they flipped the pitas after 2 minutes I think. Glad I didn’t try that recipe! I have two stones, they are great. I even used one on a charcoal grill after a hurricane… had to cook a pizza before it spoiled!

4. May 11, 2010 11:35 pm

I love pita bread and yours looks wonderful! Lovely puffed pita bread. Yum!

5. May 12, 2010 12:15 am

Your pita bread are perfectly baked! And it’s even wholewheat!

6. May 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow! What a great recipe! i really would like to try this out :)

7. May 13, 2010 5:50 am

That’s a really new and fun way of making pizza! Looks super delicious.

8. May 13, 2010 9:03 am

This looks fantastic and very nutritious. I’ve never made pita bread but I might get around to it one day. I’ll definitely use this recipe if I do!

9. Liz permalink
    May 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Can you freeze the pita for later use?

May 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Yes – wrap it up tight, air is the ENEMY!

10. May 13, 2010 5:04 pm