Puget Sound Clams

May 2, 2010

~ Sean ~

We’ve been in Seattle about 5 months. We love to explore and are pretty adventurous so I start looking into what we need to go clamming. I get all of the information from a friend, some garden tools, a bucket and a fishing license. We check the tide table and find out that last Sunday was a 1.8 ft tide at 8:30am, so it’s time to go. Get the kids out of bed and we’re off to Wolfe State Park. Not quite sure what to expect but we start digging. We start finding clams right away. Withing 30 minutes of liesurely digging we had our limit of 120 native and manilas.

Well now what do we do? You need to let them sit in sea water or regular water with added salt for a few hours or overnight. This is to let them get rid of the sand inside. We also read you should add cornstarch, flour or cornmeal to help the process. We do this and give them a good rinsing and we are ready to cook them up.

We sautêd onion & garlic in plenty of butter

added basil

parsley

2 bay leaves

red pepper flakes

2 cups white wine and

some fresh squeezed lemon juice

We added the clams and steamed for 8 minutes.

The clams open up when they are done.

Pull the clams and discard the ones that didn’t open.

I thickened the sauce with a little flour and

served over linguini with a rustic baguette

and a glass of white wine, delicious.

That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout!

1. Katy permalink
    May 3, 2010 8:40 am

GORGEOUS!

2. May 3, 2010 9:14 am

What an adventure. So glad you guys get out and explore local activities. You just keep finding neat things to do.

3. May 3, 2010 9:18 am

They look so Yummy!!!!!

4. Pat Winker permalink
    May 3, 2010 11:00 am

What FUN!!! Leave it to you to discover the best of your new digs! (Pun intended.)
    How did the kids like the clams? They look terriffic!!!

5. May 3, 2010 11:08 pm

Now you’re really making me homesick! As a kid, I used to go clamming with my friend’s family, who had a cabin on an island off the B.C. coast. What a beautiful preparation of these flavorful little guys.

6. May 4, 2010 8:30 am

Super fun and the clams must be just fantastic!

7. May 4, 2010 10:37 am

No way, you dug those up yourself? that’s awesome! That’s a great looking dish – good job!

8. Sean permalink
    May 8, 2010 12:25 pm

I was pleasantly surprised at how good the clams were. I’ve had clams at a local restaurant that has good food. I thought theirs were good, not great. These were really good and I don’t think it was only how we prepared them (can’t go wrong with butter garlic and white wine) or the pshchological effect of having harvested and cooked them up ourselves that can make things taste better. Mary, do you have a name for this phenomenon? Patty, the kids were great harvesting and preparing but they opted for mac and cheese, more for Wanda and me!
    Stay tuned for the halibut post. ;)

9. May 24, 2010 3:52 pm

What a fun family outing. The clams look delicious!!