Green n’ Grain Salad

April 22, 2010

A perfect spring salad that will work it’s way into the summer grilling season with ease.  We’ve been experimenting with different grains lately – this salad uses farro, which cooks up a lot like barley, but really any grain would work fine.

One thing I’ve found is that these types of salads make a great healthy snack, or quick meal, when left in serving sized containers in the fridge.

one year ago: Grilled Calamari

Green n’ Grain Salad

In chicken broth cook:

1 1/2 Cups Farro - or grain of your choice (barley, wheatberry, brown rice, kamut)

Drain and cool completely. Combine in a large mixing bowl along with:

1 Cup Quartered, canned Artichoke Hearts

1 Cup Blanched Chopped Asparagus

1 Cup Diced Zucchini – skin left on

1/2 Cup Chopped Parsley

1/2 Cup Thin Sliced Green Onion

1/4 Cup Minced Onion or Shallots

1-2 Tbsp Minced Garlic

1/4 Cup Fresh Chopped Dill

1 Tbsp Tarragon

Juice of 1 Lemon

Drizzle a little Olive Oil

Kosher Salt and Pepper to taste

Stir to combine and adjust seasonings to personal taste.

1. April 22, 2010 7:02 pm

This is so pretty…the colors are beautiful! I love when all the fresh produce is available and we can eat so many more dishes like this. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

2. April 23, 2010 5:13 am

Looks and sounds amaaaaaazing! I think I’ll give it a try with the bulgar wheat I have in the cupboard…

3. April 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Wow, the colors really do pop on this salad. I love farro; this is a great salad.

4. kitchenmeditation permalink
    April 24, 2010 1:16 am

This is totally something I could make on a Sunday and take to work for lunch throughout the week. Thank you for the recipe.

5. April 24, 2010 2:39 am

Mary, we must be thinking the same thing with ingredient combination but would be using a different type of grain. I love farro even if I haven’t tasted them. Looking at this dish makes me squeaky clean. :)

6. April 24, 2010 8:23 pm

This farro salad looks delicious and healthy. Thank you for the recipe!

Nisrine

7. April 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Perfect salad for spring!

8. April 26, 2010 4:45 am

Farro is amazing and I’m proud it’s tuscan…just like me! When readers ask me what to do with it I say – “think of pizza – what can you top it with?” that’s just the best way in which to use farro – hot or cold – use your imagination…just like you did! The result will be fantastic!

9. April 26, 2010 8:41 am

Oh boy this really looks good! Lots of vegetables and whole grain, my favorite!

10. May 4, 2010 10:59 am

This looks yummy, and I have most of the ingredients growing in the garden, I will try it!