Molly’s Banana Bread

April 9, 2010

Don’t forget to enter your name for the Birthday Month Giveaway

Molly Wizenberg is my hero!  I’ve never had banana bread this good EVER!  It domed perfectly – had a slightly crispy crust and tasted AWESOME! I’m not nearly as poetic as she is about it in her book “A Homemade Life” and I’m not even going to try. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this book – it’s captivating – she’s thoroughly delightful to read – and it’s all about her life in food, short essays that make you want ot create EVERYTHING she’s written about. This was the first recipe I HAD to try.

one year ago: Siciliano Burger with Sundried Tomato Butter

Banana Bread with

Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger

adapted ever so slightly from A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg

makes one loaf

Pre-heat oven to 350°F

In mixing bowl stir to combine:

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour

1/2-3/4 Cup Sugar

3/4 tsp Baking Soda

1/2 tsp Salt

1/2-3/4 Cup Ghiradelli 60% Chocolate Chips

1/3 Cup Chopped Crystalized Ginger

Set this bowl aside.

In another bowl Whisk

2 Large Eggs

then add and stir to combine:

6 Tbsp Melted Butter that’s had time to cool

1 1/2 Cups mashed RIPE Banana – 3-4 bananas –  MEASURE it!

1/4 Cup Plain Yogurt

1 tsp Vanilla

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.

Stir just to combine – DO NOT OVER MIX!

Pour batter into greased loaf pan

Bake in center of the 350°F oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

About 50-60 minutes

Cool, slice, eat!

1. April 10, 2010 9:11 pm

such a perfect and tasty looking loaf!

2. April 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Molly Wizenberg’s book is one of my favorite food books. Though, of course, it’s about much more than food. I remember this banana bread catching my eye, but have never got around to trying it. Looks fantastic!

3. April 11, 2010 12:30 am

very tempting!

4. April 11, 2010 12:46 am

I have not heard of her before, but I will have to check her out because that banana bread looks amazing!

5. April 11, 2010 9:02 am

This does look great…I like the addition of the crystallized ginger, thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. April 11, 2010 10:32 am

crisp crust and the crystalized ginger got my attention – spread a slice with some butter, now that’s what I’m talking about…

7. April 11, 2010 11:02 am

Chocolate and ginger…wow. This has to be an awesome banana bread! I will have to check out the book.

8. April 11, 2010 12:02 pm

what a nice kick to put in those crystalised gingers!

9. April 11, 2010 12:40 pm

This banana bread looks great! Interesting idea to use ginger and chocolate chips :)

10. April 11, 2010 8:38 pm

I love banana bread! The crystalized ginger is a twist. It looks like a deliciously healthy loaf that I’m gonna have to try!

11. April 12, 2010 8:33 am

Waht a beautiful loaf of banana bread! I have to try this recipe with the crystallized ginger.

12. April 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Hey Mary, you know I love banana bread! The ginger sounds great. I saved this one for later baking!

13. April 15, 2010 6:42 am

I have been searching for a banana bread that domes perfectly. Glad you said this one did because that means I will have to try it. Looks beautiful.

14. April 16, 2010 10:44 am

This looks great! I may have to try it!

15. June 30, 2010 8:33 am

I made this last night and it was wonderful! I used a little less butter and a little more yogurt and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!

June 30, 2010 8:44 am

……….and thank YOU for letting me know how it turned out for you! You’ve got me thinkin’ that I’ve got to try more of Molly’s recipes.
      ~Mary