Mexican Steak Pizza

April 7, 2010

Don’t forget to enter your name for the Birthday Month Giveaway

John and I have always ordered wood-fired pizza on Sundays from our local restaurant – and always the same – spinach and mushroom – we’ve always been happy with that.  Then JP started in on the pizza posts and things haven’t been the same since!  First it was that awesome Garlic Glazed Pizza that oozes with pure deliciousness then he chimed in with the Thai Peanut one and we’ve been on a roll.  Then I thought it was high time to make my own right along with the pizza crust.  So here’s a lovely addition to our Sunday pizza night repertoire.

I still haven’t found that perfect crust, but when I do – I’ll share it – until then any type of crust you like works well.

one year ago: Banana Mango Delight, Grilled Pizza, Monkey Lala

Mexican Steak Pizza

no tricks to this pizza just have your ingredients lined up and ready

Approximations for one 14″ pie

1 – 14″ Crust of choice not baked

Mix together and spread on bottom:

1/4-1/3 Cup Smoked or Roasted Salsa - drained of most juice

1/4 Cup Canned Diced Hot Green Peppers drained of most juice

Sprinkle on top

1/2 Cup Mozzarella

1/4 Cup Shredded Cheddar

1/4 – 1/3 Cup Canned Sweet Corn – drained

1/4 – 1/3 Cup Drained Black Beans

12 Slices of Grilled Steak that was seasoned with Taco or Fajita Seasoning – just sear the steak to get the grilled flavor it should be raw in the middle because it’ll finish cooking in the oven.

Bake 12-15 minutes at 495 or until golden brown and bubbly.

Remove from oven and top with

1/2 an Avocado  that’s been diced

small handful of Chopped Cilantro

a couple Tablespoons of Sliced or Diced Red Onion

Squirt with 1-2 Lime wedges

Slice, Serve and ENJOY!

1. April 7, 2010 10:39 am

This looks absolutely awesome. I am looking forward to trying this one out with some fresh squeezed margaritas.

April 7, 2010 11:36 am

Margarita….did someone say margarita!?!?!

2. April 7, 2010 11:44 am

Yum that does look like it would go wonderfully with a margarita…..Mary you didn’t like my pizza crust recipe?

I think we might have to adopt the Sunday pizza idea…..

April 7, 2010 12:52 pm

I left a big response to you about it under the savory strawberry pizza.

I tried it again this last weekend and used less whole wheat flour and froze before the first rise – seems to have done better – I’ll let you know, I think I still need less whole wheat or to not use the dough hook and fold by hand. I found a delicious one in Sauver.

• April 7, 2010 4:15 pm

oops sorry I didn’t see it….I’ve never had an issue but I haven’t tried wheat flour either….I’m sure that had alot to do with it not rising as well. I’ve never frozen it either. I usually cut that recipe in half and we eat it all.

3. April 7, 2010 2:28 pm

great pizza!

4. April 8, 2010 6:58 am

wowzers! Looks so good!

5. April 8, 2010 7:36 pm

Oh I love love love pizza! This looks fabulous Mary. I’d be inclined to cook it on my grill, yummy!

6. April 8, 2010 7:44 pm

Well..This looks fab!
    I made a steak pizza last wk, but it was steak philly pizza…
    This I gotta try.

7. April 8, 2010 9:36 pm

I love pizza that is made at home…it is so much better! I will keep this recipe in mind…almost like a fajita!

8. April 8, 2010 10:41 pm

The colors of this are so pretty! And I’ll bet it tastes as good as it looks.

I played around with many variations of pizza crust over the past year and have finally come up with a really good one. At the risk of blatant self-promotion, here’s the link to the recipe: http://cookincanuck.blogspot.com/2009/04/pizza-night.html

April 13, 2010 10:35 am

….ooops! I guess I missed your comment last week.
      Thank you Dara!
      Sister – you’re a ‘frequent flyer’ around these parts – so there’s no blatantcy (sp?) at all whatsoever!
      I love the addition of the whole wheat flour and I think a pizza stone is KEY in getting the pefrct crust.
      Thanks again for sharing – my next crust will be yours.
      ~Mary

9. April 9, 2010 1:15 am

I really enjoy wood fired pizzas too. I’ve tried recreating some of them at home, but to no avail.

Your pizza has so many delicious fresh ingredients! Beautiful presentation.

April 9, 2010 9:13 am

you need a pizza tile and crank your oven up to 500 – make sure that tile is nice and HOT before you throw the pizza in – sometimes it takes more than 45 minutes to get it hot enough.

10. April 9, 2010 8:56 am

I just had pizza this afternoon but this one is even better!!

11. April 9, 2010 9:56 am

Avocado and steak – my faves!

12. April 9, 2010 2:35 pm

Great – now I know what to make for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe!

13. April 9, 2010 8:38 pm

The pizza is so versatile, you could never stop with experimenting. Love the idea of steak on it. Are you joining us for the International pizza party this month?

14. April 10, 2010 3:08 am

I just woke up after a hard night out, I can tell you that this would taste very very good! Mm. Nice pictures.

15. April 12, 2010 9:43 pm

OMG – that looks awesome!

16. Lisa permalink
    April 15, 2010 2:12 pm

At our house we have a leftover pizza night once a week. We use all of the leftovers out of the fridge. Last week we made a mexican leftovers pizza and a tri-tip leftover pizza. Everything in the fridge goes on them. They were the best pizzas ever (even the kids loved them) and it cleaned out our fridge and we didn’t end up throwing leftovers away. To make it even simpler we can get great pizza doughballs at our local pizza place for $1.50 each. These leftover pizzas are better than any pizza place pizza I have ever had.

1. Columbus Foodie » Blog Archive » April 2010 Roundup