Beet & Belgian Endive Salad

March 29, 2010

Lately I’ve been finding some really great recipes in the Chicago Tribune Food Section and there’s always one recipe in the Sunday paper that usually catches my eye.  This Belgian Endive one is a true favorite.  I’m not usually one to make an extra effort, but for this salad I do – you see our beloved A&G doesn’t carry Belgian Endive – and they carry EVERYTHING!!!!  But for this salad – I have to go to another grocery store and let me tell you I HATE having to make any unnecessary stops – except, that is, for this salad – I’ll go once a week to pick up my endive – it’s THAT good!

I’ve made this salad as a main course by supplementing it with Chicory (curly endive) and a seared Tuna steak – and yes, I see it’s over-cooked, but that’s the way we like our tuna.

Beet & Belgian Endive Salad

Peel and slice matchstick style 2 Beets

coat lightly with a little olive oil and bake in 425° oven for 20-25 minutes or until aldente.

Vinaigrette:

Whisk together:

1 Minced Shallot

1 Tbsp Grainy Mustard

2 Tbsp Lemon Juice

2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

pinch of Salt

Continue to Whisk and gradually drizzle in:

1/3 Cup Olive Oil

Toss vinaigrette with:

6 Heads of thinly sliced (lengthwise) Belgian Endive

Arrange on serving platter and top with:

Cooled Roasted Beets

1/2 Cup Crumbled Goat Cheese

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

1. March 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Love it. The sweetness of the beets with the bitterness of the endive. It’s a perfect pairing! I’d definitely drive around the city in search of this.

2. March 29, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi Mary – I really like the sounds of this salad. Colorful, and endive is so tender. Terrific! I’ve saved this one.

3. pat permalink
    March 30, 2010 9:01 pm

This looks great, Mary! I don’t believe I’ve ever had Belgian Endive! I’m bound to try it now. I LOVE beets! The combination sounds delicious. And, that vinaigrette sounds wonderful, too!
    Leave it to you to introduce me to all new foods! I LOVE it! – Pat

4. March 31, 2010 1:07 pm

This look filling and delicious, and boy, do I love beets!

5. March 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Yea beets. I am always cheering for beets. So glad I came across this on TatseSpotting! GREG

6. April 4, 2010 8:45 am

I love beets, I can see how they would go so well with the endive.

7. April 5, 2010 8:22 am

I love this salad just by looking at it. Mary, I honestly love your recipes. I am now a fan on your Facebook page. :)

April 5, 2010 9:59 am

Divina – you are so sweet! Congrats on Top 9 today!

8. Katy permalink
    September 7, 2010 1:43 pm

O.M.G. This salad is to DIE for! Can’t believe I didn’t try it earlier. It’s SO going into regular rotation.

September 7, 2010 6:23 pm

John & I had it weekly for two months in a row this spring/summer!