Good Morning Sunshine! – Broiled Grapefruit

March 13, 2010

Having company over – need a refresher for your brunch – how about a little zippity do DAH for the same ol’ same ol’ boring breakfast or snack?  These are so easy and super-duper delicious! I call them:

Good Morning SUNSHINE

Broiled Grapefruit

Cut two whole grapefruits in half and section with a grapefruit knife. Then mix together 2 Tbsp Honey and 1 tsp Vanilla and drizzle over top.

Sprinkle with Cardamom then place under broiler until tops begin to bubble – 5-10 minutes depending on distance from flame.

makes 4 halves

1. March 13, 2010 9:01 am

Grapefruit looks luscious! I can’t believe Spring is here already; this grapefruit fits the breakfast bill perfectly.

2. March 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Mary, that photograph is gorgeous !!! I’m impressed. The grapefruit looks delicious as well an certainly easy enough for a crowd. The cardamom is a very lovely addition.

March 13, 2010 6:13 pm

awe shucks – thanks Danielle! I had to make it as pretty as they tasted, honey and vanilla together are the bomb – then add in that cardamom – you’re right – it’s a lovely addition! ~Mary

3. March 13, 2010 9:05 pm

oh what wonderful memories you just gave me my mom used to do this when she was alive and we always had this on a sunday mornings..thanks for bringing me that memorie back!

4. March 14, 2010 7:39 am

Your picture is beautiful! It really shows off the grapefruit and your beautiful china! I have never thought to broil grapefruit either, wonderful idea. thanks!

5. March 14, 2010 3:11 pm

I used to have this for breakfast when I was a kid, only with toasted coconut on top. SO good. And your photo is amazing!

6. March 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Stunning picture and a perfect refreshing breakfast. I am in love with the gorgeous cups.

March 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks Thas – they were my Great Aunt Jo’s whom I miss dearly! ~Mary

7. lvegas permalink
    March 14, 2010 7:37 pm

This is something I’ve completely forgotten about. My mother used to make this for us when we were little with a maraschino cherry in the middle. I almost bought some grapefruit yesterday and now I wish I had, I’d love to give this a try right now!

8. March 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Your photos are just beautiful. I wouldn’t want to touch the food, it looks so pretty! I’ll have to send this along to my daughter, she loves grapefruit!

9. March 14, 2010 10:10 pm

This really does seem to be quite the refreshing dessert! I love grapefruits plain and can imagine how much tastier they would be broiled. Beautiful presentation as well.

10. arugulove permalink
    March 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Yum! I have been buying up tons of grapefruits at the farmers market. I’ve never broiled them with honey though, so good!

11. March 16, 2010 7:06 am

Mary,
    You always have simple and fantastic dishes. I love grapefruit and this is calling out to my hungry stomach. LOL

12. March 17, 2010 3:20 am

Great idea. That would be perfect.

13. March 22, 2010 11:32 am

I eat a grapefruit every night during citrus season (really!)….adding honey and caramelizing will make it really seem like a treat.

14. March 31, 2010 5:44 am

What a wonderful idea to put them in soup cups… they look just wonderful!

15. March 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I stumbled upon your blog while looking for broiled grapefruits recipe to reference to at the end of my post. I thought you have a really original broiled grapefruit recipe. I have tried various combinations of broiled grapefruits, but have yet to try one with vanilla, honey and cardamom. This will be on my next broiled grapefruit recipe:)

I hope you don’t mind that I linked this post to my post;) Good things ought to be shared :)

March 29, 2011 7:24 pm

No, in fact, I’m flattered!
      Thank you!