Celery Root Salad

March 11, 2010

Remember Patty’s Waldorf salad?  The one with the apples, celery and lots of mayo!?  Think of this as an up-dated, much healthier, version.  I was perusing bon appetite magazine and ran across a lovely article about the “…humble, homely…” celery root.  How could you not stop to read that?  Then at the end of the article is this lovely little salad – I just had to try – so glad I did – we’ve had it four times in a month!

Along with this keeper recipe I found the author of the article also has a blog called Orangette - her name:  Molly Wizenberg.  She and her husband recently opened a pizza place in Seattle called Delancey - I hope Sean & Wanda go soon to check it out.

Celery Root Salad

1 Celery Root peeled and cut into matchsticks

1 Fennel Bulb sliced in half lengthwise and sliced thinly

2 Gala Apples unpeeled and sliced thinly

Parmesan Cheese Shavings

Vinaigrette

Whisk together:

2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

2 Tbsp White WIne Vinegar

1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice

Pinch of Salt

1/2 tsp minced Garlic

Continue to whisk and drizzle in :

1/4 Cup hazelnut Oil

2 Tbsp Olive Oil

1. March 11, 2010 8:58 am

I love celery root but I’ve never eaten it raw, so I’m definitely going to give this a try. yum.

2. March 11, 2010 9:21 am

I have one of those gnarly looking things in my fridge that I’ve been trying to decide what to do with. This looks very refreshing and healthy. You’ve inspired once again!

March 11, 2010 11:21 am

Looks great! I’ll try it soon. I’m going to add walnuts too, ala my Waldorf Salad. (I LOVE that salad! )

4. March 11, 2010 5:18 pm

Looks fabulous! The hazelnut oil is a gorgeous touch. Bet it pulls the earthiness right out of the celery root!

5. March 11, 2010 5:23 pm

great salad..great pic

sweetlife

6. March 11, 2010 6:24 pm

I love this and its perfect to add to my low fat diet right now thank you so much!

7. March 12, 2010 12:21 am

Have never eaten celery root. In fact I checked it out on Google. I have to agree with Danielle, they are ugly. Can’t imagine that this beautiful salad began with one of those!

8. March 12, 2010 9:56 am

This recipe sounds and looks fresh and healthy! Yum! I have not worked with celery root but I have to soon! Thanks!

9. March 14, 2010 9:38 pm

I saw Molly’s recipe and looks grand. Thanks for the gentle reminder!

10. March 17, 2010 3:19 am

I do remember people don’t like celery root a lot. When a salad of celery root was served at a restaurant school, most guests rarely touch it. I don’t know why but I absolutely love them.