40 Garlic Roasted Chicken

March 4, 2010

The last time we went home to Minnesota we were gifted with this BEAUTIFUL bird from Kevin & Mindy.  It was raised on Patrick’s farm – all organic baby!- and weighed in at 5 pounds 4 ounces – YOWZA!  It gave us four big dinners: the one I’m sharing below, Chick & Dumplings (twice) and two of  JP’s Garlic Glazed Pizza! That was one mighty DELICIOUS bird! Thank YOU KEVIN & MINDY!

Succulent and moist this dish is a knock-out.  40 cloves may seem like a lot, but garlic becomes nutty and sweet when roasted.  Baking on a high temp sears, browns and crisps the skin while leaving the meat moist.  Serve it with rustic bread to mop up the sauce and garlic.

40 Clove Garlic Roasted Chicken

Heat oven to 375°

Coat a large Roasting Chicken with olive oil and rub in spice mixture:

1 Tbsp Thyme

1 Tbsp Sage

1 Tbsp Kosher Salt

1 Tbsp Rosemary

1 tsp Black Pepper

Place 4 lemon quarters in each cavity.

In covered casserole place:

1 Cup Garlic Cloves

1 Cup Chicken Broth

1 Cup White Wine

Add chickens breast side up.

Cover the casserole and roast for 25 minutes.

Increase oven temp to 450°, uncover casserole and roast until chicken reaches internal temp of 165° – about another 35- 50 minutes. Occasionally check to be sure there is liquid in the pan, add more if necessary.  Cut the chicken into serving pieces and spoon pan juices and garlic over.

Serve with a good Crusty French Bread

1. March 4, 2010 10:08 am

that bird should be on a King’s Table my goodness how mouth watering, makes me want to go out an buy a whole chicken and eat that leg tonight hmmmmmmm!

2. March 4, 2010 10:21 am

That bird looks gorgeous! Ya know I have seen this recipe for years, in one form or another, an despite being a garlic freak have never made it. Why? I have no idea. Now after seeing that lovely crispy chicken I am drooling and must make very soon.

March 4, 2010 11:14 am

What a BEAUTIFUL chicken!!!
    Great recipe too!!!
    I don’t think you can get such lovely big birds unless you raise them yourself or know somebody that does. I remember when we used to raise chickens on the farm. toward the fall they would get big like that. Roasting them was the BEST! Makes my mouth water just looking at your picture!

4. March 4, 2010 1:44 pm

I made this dish about 20 years ago – totally forgot all about it, despite how yummy it was. Thanks for the reminder.
    ButterYum

5. March 4, 2010 3:33 pm

Been craving roasted chicken… and now this! Am seriously tempted to make it, since that roasted garlic would be stellar spread on bread or stirred into accompanying mashed potatoes!

March 5, 2010 8:05 am

oh I never thought of that – I always do the bread thing – but with potatoes – YUM!

6. March 5, 2010 7:29 am

Mary,
    This looks incredible. I have been wanting to make a 40 clove garlic. I heard that they caramalize and make the most amazing flavor.

Thanks for a great recipe!!

7. March 5, 2010 12:17 pm

Amazing flavors, excellent recipe!

8. March 6, 2010 10:58 am

That chicken was given some serious love. What a gorgeous recipe!

9. lvegas permalink
    March 6, 2010 3:25 pm

This is a true masterpiece…almost too pretty to eat, but I know it was as fabulous as it looks.

10. Tess permalink
    March 7, 2010 9:33 pm

The chicken is fantastic! Kori and Tess used the recipe today and we all sat down to a delicious dinner of Roasted Chicken, wild rice and cauliflower. Thank you for posting the entry!

March 8, 2010 2:25 pm

Glad you liked it Tess Grubbins!

11. March 9, 2010 10:41 pm

Man! The brown on the chicken looks amazing. I think you should come up with a recipe that calls for 41 cloves of garlic. Cause I just can’t get enough.

12. March 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Gorgeous! I love that you cooked it covered first and then uncovered it for crispiness – I’ve always cut the back out of my chickens so they cook more quickly, but still brown. Recently, however, I turned the whole bird upside down and cooked it at 350 for 20 or so min, then righted it to roast the breast at 450 – but I like this idea even better because there’s no fear of dropping the half cooked bird as you flip it over! (yes, I’ve done that…)

13. Kevin permalink
    March 16, 2010 8:25 pm

The name is catchy if you like garlic, but I never took it seriously until Mary said we had to try it. One night I could see we had a lot of garlic that needed roasting, and roasting chickens had been on sale so we had that, so I called up Mary and she read me the recipe on the phone (months ago, before this post). We put it all together fast — had to use lime juice and red wine instead because of an ingredient shortfall, but no big deal. It was so good that we had it again a week later!

14. March 17, 2010 3:18 am

Catching up on my blog reading. I love roast chicken and it’s versatility. The color is fantastic. Must try this recipe soon.

15. April 18, 2010 10:07 pm

This looked so good that Icopied it. I haven’t made this in 30 years. Now to find a chicken!

16. Kori permalink
    April 10, 2011 6:52 pm

We had the chicken again! Delicious!