Serrano Parmigiano Sandwich

February 16, 2010

~ ‘Frank’ ~

Time for a little South Euro fusion.

Ever since I first visited Spain 5 years ago I have wanted a jamonera and a whole Spanish jamon.  Christmas of 2008 my wish finally came true with a gift of a Jamon Serrano. And for the second year in a row, I have received a Jamon for Christmas. This past year it was a Jamon Iberico. Both are incredible illustrations of what artisan farmers can do with a pig. If you haven’t tried the Spanish jamons, I’m sorry but your life is, as of yet, incomplete.

When we were in italy a couple of years ago we had some great parma ham & parmesan cheese sandwiches. Really tasty, but I’ve always wanted to try the same sandwich with Jamon Serrano. While many Spaniards would say eating their beautiful jamon with italian cheese is sacrilegious, I say it’s sacriLICIOUS! And no parma ham is not as good as Spanish jamon. I am a big parma ham fan, but side by side the Spanish jamons win at every level. Very simply it is meat candy.

These sandwiches are beautiful in their simplicity: Jamon Serrano, Parmigiano Reggiano & Olive oil on toasted Rustic bread. I used garlic infused oil this weekend for another layer of flavor. You can use another kind of Parmigiano, but why would you? It’s the King of Cheese.

Part of the fun at my house is I get to break out the jamonera (the wood stand which holds the ham) and my knifes to cut thin strips of jamon. I am still learning to slice the jamon and have had to keep a supply of band aids in the kitchen. YouTube has provided a great jamon slicing curriculum.

In recent google searches I have noticed a couple of places where you can buy Spanish jamon in North America. Here’s a good link: La Tienda Enjoy!

Serrano Parmigiano Sandwich

Thin Slices of Jamon Serrano

Thin slices of Parmigiano Regiano

Extra virgin olive oil

Toasted Rustic bread

1. February 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Mmm… sounds like a perfect sandwich for lunch right now! So good with serrano ham!

February 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Great post, Mick! I’m going to try that as soon as I visit you!

3. February 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Wish I could be there eating with you right now. OMG the sandwiches look superb! I haven’t had anything remotely as fresh since having lunch with my grandma. She passed in 1993, think I’m deprived???

4. February 17, 2010 9:16 am

This totally reminds me of my trip to Spain! Lovely country and delicious food! Great post and pics!

5. February 17, 2010 10:26 am

That looks good enough to start a sandwich shop. Jimmy Juan’s?

6. February 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Wow hoof and all, impressive. The simnplest things are often the best when you use the finest ingredients. Thanks for sharing the great pics and recipe.

7. February 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Wow. Jealousy doesn’t describe the feelings I have about that ham. It looks positively fabulous… and those sandwiches… drool-worthy! I can’t think of a better way to enjoy that jamon!

8. February 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Dang! Good thing for you that your address isn’t published or I’d be drooling at your doorstep. And I’m totally stealing the word “sacriLICIOUS”. Your sandwiches are gorgeous….Cathy

9. Niki permalink
    February 18, 2010 10:17 am

I was lucky enough to be able to try some! I had to hurry though before mick ate them all. And I can tell you, they were absolutely delicious! Very simple to make and great flavours combined!

February 18, 2010 2:14 pm

iggy, iggy Mick’s a piggy {tee hee hee}

10. February 18, 2010 11:12 pm

Well I am certainly jealous of your world travels your Spanish Jamon Serrano and that very interesting slicing contraption. Can I move in with you guys? :). I’m ashamed to admit that I have never had the pleasure of enjoying such wonderful ham products but you’ve just put them at the top of my wish list!

11. February 21, 2010 10:23 pm

I am so wanting to eat this right now~