Amped UP Steel Cut Oats

January 19, 2010

I’ve never been a fan of oatmeal.  It always reminded me of a big glob of mush and grossed me out.  John, on the other hand, could eat it night and day.  In an attempt to eat a healthier breakfast I set out to explore steel cut oats and have been pleasantly surprised every morning!

I’ve tried a few different ways of preparing steel cut oats and the KEY is to not over-cook it or there we go and end up with the bowl of mush.  When done correctly it’s got a nice little something for your teeth in each bite.

Steel cut oats are not a quick morning breakfast to fix UNLESS you make up a big batch when you have time and reheat your serving  in the microwave each day.  I usually make one batch a week and store it in Ziploc containers and measure 1/2 to 3/4 cup out into bowls in the morning.

Amped UP Steel Cut Oats

In a large sauce pan over medium heat combine:

2 Quarts Water
2 Cups Steel Cut Oats
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 well rounded Tablespoons Cinnamon OR Pumpkin Pie Seasoning OR 1 Tbsp Cardamom
1/4 Cup Ground Flax or 1/2 Cup Whole Flax Seed
2-3 Scoops Whey Protien (no flavor)

Optional to add sugar/sweetner now ( I add raisins - you’ll see where a little further down) or you can add it each morning to your individual taste prefrence.  If you want to add it now this makes about 8 servings and two packets of equal works well for each serving.  As for real sugar I would start with 1/3 Cup and go up or down from there

Give it a good stir.  Put on a lid and stir it again when it starts heating up.  You want to bring it JUST to where it starts to boil.  Then TURN IT OFF and give it a good stir.  This is where I add

1 Cup Raisins or Craisins or Dried Cherries, or Dried Blueberries

Leave the lid on and let it sit and absorb the rest of the water for 45minutes to an hour.

Cool and store in containers in the fridge.

1. January 19, 2010 11:08 am

This oatmeal looks deluxe. And those red bowls really help me “taste” the craisins… even from here! Beautiful. GREG

January 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Who else but Mary could make plain old oatmeal look good?
    I’m with you on the ‘glob’ look, but I like the taste; especially with some brown sugar and cinnamon! mmmmmm
    Your pots are adorable!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks Patty!
      John surprised me with those pots – he sure is a gem.

3. January 19, 2010 10:19 pm

The presentation is so pretty. I love steel cut oats, and I add flax seed on mine as well.

4. January 20, 2010 12:15 am

wonderful,i like oats and those red bowls are very pretty!

5. January 20, 2010 2:56 am

Beautiful bowl of oats. They’re so inviting. I’m sure everyone in the family would love to have this. Love those cute bowls with cover you have on the pic, even the jug. :D

6. January 20, 2010 3:29 am

Great pictures you have there, very well done! Oats are not a common thing in Lebanon and I never had any, but you do make them look appealing.

7. January 20, 2010 8:27 am

I love the red bowls, and oats are healthy… Great post:)

8. January 20, 2010 8:46 am

Very pretty. I also like to top oats with a mixture of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flax seeds.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Oh I like that idea – more texture for me! ~Mary

9. January 20, 2010 9:39 am

Interesting recipe. My husband eats oatmeal every morning, same boring way. I’ll give him the recipe to try to “amp” up his breakfast. Beautiful pics, too. Robin

10. January 20, 2010 2:33 pm

We love oatmeal around here, making a big batch once a week would be great and easier on me in the morning, Thanks!!

11. tastyeatsathome permalink
    January 21, 2010 10:04 am

Are those like mini-Le Creuset bowls? How freaking cool! I love steel cut oats, and this sounds delicious. Yum!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh yes – they are ceramic – they also make them in the enamled cast-iron. I had commented on them at Sur Le Table and John was able to find them at a restaurant supply store for considerably less – he’s a keeper! ~ Mary

12. January 21, 2010 11:26 am

I agree with the masses: am lovin those bowls!

13. January 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Yep the bowls are sweet and the photo even suuweeeter! Never tried the steel cut oats and don’t think I’d handle the texture too well. I do like oatmeal very much. There isn’t too many foods that would gross me out, except maybe bugs.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 22, 2010 8:30 am

You’re funny Kathy! ~Mary

14. January 22, 2010 1:28 am

Wow! You’ve managed to make oatmeal look so beautiful and cute! The bowls, composition, presentation, and photography are excellent!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 22, 2010 8:35 am

Awe shucks – thanks Mangio and WELCOME to Foodo! ~Mary

15. January 22, 2010 6:27 am

For topping, allow me to insist on having something redish, just to match with the lovely bowls : ).

16. January 22, 2010 8:58 am

I was just thinking about doing a steel-cut oat post. It’s truly one of my favorite things to eat, when cooked properly, just like you say. There should be a bit of resistance in each grain – chewy and totally satisfying. Ooh, I think I’ll go make a bowl for breakfast…

Have a great day!
    ButterYum

17. January 22, 2010 9:04 am

PS – just read your recipe – love the idea of being able to make a week’s worth in advance!

Thanks again – ButterYum

18. January 22, 2010 11:12 am

I love the presentation of these. It makes oats seem so exciting.

19. January 23, 2010 10:51 am

Please, oatmeal lovers, hear my plead to make ur oatmeal (and try this recipe) using milk! Non fat, 1% and 2% all work wonderfully. It upsets me to see people using water in oatmeal, it results in a more slope like consistency with much less flavor and also less nutrition! So, I am asking you to please try with milk, your world will be changed.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      January 23, 2010 1:57 pm

Thanks Emily – I do pour a little milk over it each morning – does that count? I have made oats with milk in the past, I don’t with this recipe because I’ve got the protein powder in there and milk, unfortunately gives me phlegm -GROSS- I know. But I’ll bet others will LOVE it with milk! Thanks for the great suggestion! ~Mary

20. January 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe, yes oatmeal needs jazzed up I think.

21. January 26, 2010 7:42 pm

We love steel cut oats at our house and agree that making up a batch to re-heat is the way to go. The pumpkin pie spice sounds like a nice twist.

I make them in my slow cooker too. They’re ready first thing in the morning for us.

22. January 29, 2010 10:25 am

First of all, I just adore those cute little red pots you put the oatmeal in.

I am hosting an oatmeal roundup over at Our Krazy Kitchen and would love for you to link up this recipe.

23. January 30, 2010 7:50 am

This looks delicious! I linked my homemade granola bars at Our Krazy Kitchen. I had the same feelings about oatmeal as you, after making the bars I have to admit I love it! I’m going to try it your way too :-)

24. February 5, 2010 4:58 pm

Nice! What day should I come for breakfast? I’m like you with the mushy bland oatmeal thing and I just bought some steel-cut oats to try for just that reason. Thanks for the recipe!

25. TAF permalink
    March 12, 2010 5:51 pm

My own prefrence, instead of whey protein. I do 1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats & 1/2 cup of quinoa, the quinoa adds a whole lot of protein and some more crunch.

March 12, 2010 6:56 pm