Crackers

December 30, 2009

You may think this is a post about homemade crackers, and it is maybe just a little bit, but more importantly it’s about Pickled Herring.  Patty and pickled herring – only I don’t know how, nor do I ever want to pickle herring so I had to do a post on what you we serve it on.  Every New Year’s Eve, growing up, we celebrated by listening to the Top 40 count down and, instead of dinner, appetizers and goodies ALL NIGHT LONG!  A kid’s dream come true - unitl - duhn, duhn, duhn – Patty brought out the crackers with cream cheese and Pickled Herring.

What utter nastiness to a poor unsuspecting child.  Thank goodness she didn’t make us eat any.  After not having it for the last 20 or so years I actually had a craving for it.  In fact it was extremely difficult to get a photo taken here (the picture only has half the crackers) between John snarfing down the only carbohydrates in the house and me slurping down the herring.

Pickled Homemade Crackers

1 Cup White Flour

1 Cup Wheat Flour

1 tsp Salt

3 Tbsp Olive Oil

1/2 Cup Water

Combine all ingredients.

Roll out dough, in thirds, on floured surface as THIN as you can get it.

Transfer to lightly sprayed cookie sheet – it’s also optional to cut these into rough rectangles with a pizza cutter at this point.  We just like to break them apart.

Lightly brush cracker dough with water and sprinkle on a third of this mixture:

1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds

2 tsp Poppy Seeds

1 tsp Kosher Salt

1 tsp Caraway Seeds

1 tsp Fennel Seeds

Bake at 42for about 10-15 minutes – it all depends on how thin you rolled the dough – it could take a lot longer – just be sure the cracker is nicely browned and crispy before removing it from the oven.

1. pat permalink
    December 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Oh, the memories.

Now you’ve made me hungry for Pickled Herring, and I don’t have any in the house!
    I LOVE it! Every year it was a Christmas Holiday treat!
    Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve, we’d have all the hors d’ouerves we could eat. Plus a whole lot more. Everyone’s favorites and some new ones were loaded on the table and we’d just graze our way through the evening.
    It was a big change from our six o’clock well- balanced regular meals. We all loved it!
    Great post, Mary!

2. December 31, 2009 10:25 am

This looks so easy it’s probably illegal. Can you use a pasta machine to roll it out? Then I KNOW it would be illegal!

Happy New Year!

3. January 2, 2010 9:02 pm

very creative and wow looks so crisp and light thanks for sharing

4. January 2, 2010 9:11 pm

I thought I was the only one who ate herring. I’ve got a great recipe for a herring dip that will go great with those crackers!

5. January 3, 2010 3:35 am

be very frank, i’m not that into that jar of herring. too fishy for me. :P
    but i do fall in love with your crackers. i’ve already come up with tons of dish which i could dip the cracker into….curry, tomato meat sauce……

6. January 3, 2010 6:24 am

Good pic! Very honest, Lol! Tells us how much you loved eating that!

7. January 3, 2010 11:41 am

Mmmmmm… those crackers look yummy! Thank you for sharing!

8. January 3, 2010 11:49 am

I love crackers, and they can be quite expensive! Thanks for the recipe. I can’t wait to try and make some.

9. January 3, 2010 1:28 pm

i did crackers last winter and was amazed at how easy it was – these look simply grand. Thanks for the reminder!

10. tastyeatsathome permalink
    January 3, 2010 3:51 pm

See, I LOVE pickled herring! Once in a great while, I bring it to work, and eat it at my desk, hoping no one notices! Your crackers look amazing.

11. January 7, 2010 3:05 pm

Every Christmas Eve we ate pickled herring. I absolutely love it now. These crackers are looking super yummy too!

12. ziabaki permalink
    March 30, 2010 12:07 am

Nummy. How about with smoked salmon? That is what my hubby is the champion at, so we eat a lot of that great stuff. And with these crackers! Oh yeah.