Easy Eggnog

December 20, 2009

~ JP~

While growing up on the farm, we expended tons of energy. Growing boys like to eat, but add farm chores and sports, and we ate everything in sight. And we were thin. Kevin used to eat Wheaties for breakfast; he’d fortify them with raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, bananas, small rodents – anything he could scrounge up. And he’d eat a couple of bowls for breakfast.

Measuring cup used to make multiple batches of egg nog at one time

When mom & dad declared that one bowl of cereal was the limit, he upgraded to a small mixing bowl, which he deemed sufficient. We thought nothing of it (though I suspect mom & dad noticed) until our cousins, who had visited the farm that summer, wrote that they had a “Kevin bowl” at their house. Their kids requested it when they wanted a lot of something.

Mechanical Beaters used to whip up the Egg Nog

But the real genius was that, instead of adding milk to his cereal, Kevin would whip up a batch of eggnog and pour that on his cereal. If you’ve never done this, its pretty tasty. Of course, you’re also adding two eggs, two tablespoons of sugar, and two cups of whole milk  to your cereal. Try it sometime (use a big bowl).

I’ve never tampered with the recipe, except to replace the manual blender with a Cuisinart Smart Stick, and to occasionally add some amaretto (much better than rum).

Kevin claims the reason he ate so many bowls of cereal was because there was always milk left at the bottom of the bowl.  When the one bowl ‘ban’ went into effect he says he strategically poured in a lot more cereal which required even more ‘strategery’ when eating.

Milk cans used to get milk from the neighbors dairy farm. The cream got pretty thick at the top.

Easy Egg Nog

In a 2 cup container, beat 2 eggs rapidly. Fluff them up as high as you can (to the 1 cup level).

Add 2 Tbsp of sugar, and a little (I use a capful) vanilla, and mix again.

Add milk to the 2 cup line and mix thoroughly.

Pour in a mug with a dash of nutmeg on top.

Also, add a little amaretto liqueur to taste.

1. December 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Ah-hahahahahahaha! LOVE the photos of the old equipment! Great entry, JP.

2. pat permalink
    December 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Great memories!
    That eggnog is the easiest and the best!! It’s still
    the only recipe I use!!
    I’ll have to try it with amaretto. We used to use rum.
    Wonderful post JP and Mary!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      December 20, 2009 7:01 pm

You too Patty – thanks for taking all the photos!

3. December 20, 2009 7:51 pm

haha, that story sounds just like two of my little cousins who live on a farm. they eat EVERYTHING. great looking recipe!

4. December 20, 2009 8:57 pm

this is awesome and just in time – thanks

5. December 21, 2009 4:47 am

One cooool post! I’d like to try it.

6. Marilyn permalink
    December 21, 2009 9:40 am

This is just how my Mom use to make it for me and my sisters a long time ago, do people think there is more concern now with raw eggs and Samanella? I will make a batch today!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      December 21, 2009 11:20 am

I think there has always been the salmonella scare, it just depends if you want to ‘buy’ into that. We also used to get our eggs fresh from our chickens.
      ~ Mary

7. December 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Ok. I should make this. A trip to the shops!

8. January 3, 2010 3:40 pm

Oh my grandmother likes to remember eggnogs that her aunt (who lived in the countryside) would make for her when she was a kid :) Eventually my 6-year old grandmother started to insist that eggnog is made only with yolks, without the egg whites :)