Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup with Chicken

December 1, 2009

~ Katy ~

The weather is turning cold and culinary thoughts are going to pot, the soup-pot, that is. (I put that one in for Fred.) There are many recipes I’ve tried and kept and many I have yet to put to the test. This particular gem is very healthy. Not to worry, I’ll be whipping up some of the richer soups throughout the winter.

One of my clients asked me to try this recipe out in her kitchen. It’s from Cooking Light Magazine. The mushroom blend gives it an earthy flavor. The chicken and wild rice give it some hearty umph, and the blend of flavors is delicious! I modify it every time I make it, but here is the basic recipe:

Wild Rice and Mushroom

Soup with Chicken

4 cups chicken broth

2 cups cooked wild rice, drained

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ cup onion, chopped

½ cup red bell pepper, chopped

1/3 cup matchstick-cut carrots

1 teaspoon garlic, chopped

½ teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon butter

8 ounces sliced exotic mushroom blend (shitake, crimini, oyster)

2 cups shredded, cooked chicken

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and the next 4 ingredients (through thyme) to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add broth, rice, chicken, salt and pepper to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Yeild: 4 servings (1.5 cups).

1. December 2, 2009 9:06 pm

That will cure whatever is ailing you and the possibilities are endless!

2. goodieswassa permalink
    December 2, 2009 10:12 pm

Look just like Soup that my mom would do for me :) Thanks for sharing good recipe :)

3. December 2, 2009 10:55 pm

Gorgeous photo and great comfort dish!

4. pat permalink
    December 2, 2009 11:59 pm

This looks wonderful!!!
    Let me know next time you make it. I’ll be over!

5. December 3, 2009 1:36 am

Nice soup and superb photos as always. I do enjoy the mushrooms and I’m a big soup fan. Mom’s Saturday meal in the winter was homemade soup and fresh home made bread. I was incredible how many visitors she had on Saturday. I don’t think that my cousin Anna ever missed one!

Wondering why I never made a mushroom soup.[red face]

6. December 3, 2009 2:29 am

The weather is a bit cool today. I think you’ve just read my mind. I also want to do some leftover roast chicken and rice soup with mushrooms. I can have a huge bowl of this.

7. December 3, 2009 8:27 am

What a gorgeous soup (and photo)! Those big pieces of mushrooms are so appealing, particularly when combined with thyme.

8. December 3, 2009 9:51 am

The peppers and mushrooms make for a gorgeous soup. And a wonderful pic!

9. December 7, 2009 8:34 pm

That soup looks so good! I like the huge pieces of mushrooms in there.

10. December 8, 2009 12:28 pm

Mouth-watering! I could eat mushrooms all day.

– Alison

11. elizabeth permalink
    February 4, 2010 10:38 am

made this last night. fantastic. i was leery, too many mushrooms…..i’m sold.

• foododelmundo permalink*
      February 4, 2010 11:06 am

Oh thank YOU so much for coming back and letting us know Elizabeth! I’ve got some wild rice soaking on the counter as we speak and am debating over this soup or another one that hasn’t been posted yet – hmmmmm healthy is probably better – thanks for persuading me;-) Mary