Quiche with a Perfect Crust

November 15, 2009

~ Katy ~

Mom (Patty) taught Mary and I how to make the perfect, most flakey pie crusts.  The first trick is to use milk instead of water.  The second is to use very little of it.  The third is to handle the dough as little as possible.  Once you get the hang of it, they’re easy as pie (pun intended), and this is the recipe we used for all of our crusts, including for quiche, which is another tasty and easy recipe from Patty’s kitchen.

This is a bonus post because there’s a Brunch theme for the Monthly Mingle over at What’s for Lunch Honey .  This is a great addition for any brunch and can be served hot or at room temp..

Perfect Crust for one 9” pie plate

1 cup + 2 Tbsp flour, sifted

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup butter

3-4 tablespoons milk

Combine the flour and salt.  Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until there are pea-sized (or smaller) pieces of butter.  Gradually pour the milk in, one tablespoon at a time while stirring the mixture.  Grasp the dough (still in the bowl) and mix with your hands, gently.  Place dough on heavily floured countertop, put flour over entire rolling pin surface and roll it out, gently until it’s about ¼ inch thick and large enough for your pie pan.  Carefully, with a spatula to keep the dough from sticking to the counter, roll the dough around the rolling pin then roll it out over the greased pie plate.

Cut off excess (about 2” from edge of plate), fold 1” under and flute the edges with your fingers.  Perforate the bottom of the crust to prevent it from bubbling up while it’s cooking.

Quiche

1/3 cup onion, chopped

1 tablespoon butter

¼ pound Swiss cheese

4 eggs

2 cups light cream

1-1.5 cups broccoli, chopped and lightly steamed

Saute the onion in the butter

Cube the cheese and place on the bottom of the pie crust

Mix the eggs and the cream together (I find that I need less liquid when making a quiche, so you may want to see what works best for you), add the sautéed onion and pour into the pie crust.  Do not overfill.  Place the broccoli into the mixture.

Place on a cookie sheet (in case it overflows while cooking), bake at 375 for 35-45 minutes.

For Quiche Lorraine, substitute 6 slices of crisp bacon for the broccoli.

1. November 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I have not had quiche in ages..this sounds great.

2. November 16, 2009 2:51 am

i’d say the whole quiche looks grand! a lovely submission! THANKS!

3. November 16, 2009 8:18 am

That looks so delicious. I would love a big slice of that for lunch. I have not made quiche before. Looks like it’s high time to learn.

4. November 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Amazing picture, mouth watering this should win a prize….love quiche and this one is just beautifully done!

5. November 16, 2009 9:23 pm

The quiche is beautiful! I’ve only made my own crust once and used water, so I might try again using milk– thanks for sharing the recipe.

6. November 16, 2009 9:56 pm

I recently inherited a pie dish, and am tempted to use it, but would never, EVER turn out anything like this. Those edges… Superb.

7. November 17, 2009 1:52 am

Glad you included homemade crust! Looks delicious.

8. November 17, 2009 2:32 am

Quiche is comfort food. And you’re right, there’s not reason not to make your own pastry crust.

9. November 17, 2009 9:43 am

I make a similar one, with broccoli and cheese, it’s a winner combination!

10. November 17, 2009 10:20 am

Superb photos as always. I never made a quiche. Thanks for the tips. It looks pretty simple, and having been inspired by this post, I might just give it a try.

11. November 17, 2009 11:45 am

I love that you use all butter, no shortening in the crust.

12. oc2seattle permalink
    November 17, 2009 1:15 pm

My husband would love this! Can’t wait to try it out!

13. November 17, 2009 5:20 pm

That is a killer quiche and I want it right NOW.

14. kezcnop permalink
    November 18, 2009 3:12 am

love, love, love, quiche. I can’t wait to make this. Don’t have any veggies in the fridge right now but I’ll get some and make this!

15. November 18, 2009 10:49 am

Wondering if this crust can be used for pies other than the Quiche? I am looking for a good pie crust, but love the Quiche too? And do you greese the pie pan for a fruit pie and such?

• foododelmundo permalink*
      November 18, 2009 11:43 am

By all means it can be used for a pie – I think Katy says so in the post –
      And No you do not need to grease the pie pan, because the crust already has a lot of fat/butter . Good Luck!

16. November 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Congrats on being the number 1 on top 9! Lovely picture. And I am inspired to make my own pie crust….soon..errr well it’s not the weekend yet!:D

17. November 18, 2009 9:16 pm

I love the crust ..it looks so thin and crispy. Im going to keep the recipe . And the filling is just yum!

18. November 18, 2009 9:48 pm

Yum! Looks great! Homemade crust with butter and a healthy filling. Cant wait to try this!

19. November 20, 2009 10:01 am

I love quiche, I have just cooked a chicken quiche a week ago or so and the hardest part was to get the thin dough into the pan:) So thanks for “roll the dough around rolling pin” tip:) Small but important detail!

20. November 22, 2009 9:38 am

I haven’t ever made my own crust – I will have to try!

21. November 23, 2009 12:02 am

what a perfect quiche!

22. November 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Great looking quiche. I’m going to have to try this pie crust. It looks really easy.

23. Lisa Schwimmer Marier permalink
    December 8, 2009 6:30 pm

Okay, all of you wonderful people, this quiche is AMAZING! Katy made it the other day and I SNARFED it down. Not only is the crust fabu, but the filling is creamy and delicious. I dream about this quiche. Really. No, really! I’m gonna make right now!

• foododelmundo permalink*
      December 8, 2009 7:09 pm

Welcome Lisa!
      You’re funny!

24. December 20, 2009 1:44 pm

Wow this quiche crust does look awesome! So flaky and heavenly.

25. March 8, 2010 11:41 pm

cant wait to try this out, i love love LOVE quiche!

26. March 23, 2010 7:38 pm

I noticed you make and roll the dough without giving it a rest in the fridge. Did I miss something as most recipes call for at least 1/2 rest.
    David

March 23, 2010 10:19 pm

This crust recipe has never called for a rest period – but you’re welcome to do so – I’m sure it wouldn’t harm the outcome.
      ~Mary

27. March 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Sorry, one more thing. You also didn’t blind bake the shell. It’s always confused me when and when not to do that. Please advise.
    David

March 23, 2010 10:21 pm

I’ve never par-baked the crust for quiche recipes – I’m sure you could, but might need to cover the fluted edge for a portion of the baking time so it wouldn’t burn.
      ~Mary

28. James permalink
    November 2, 2010 2:59 pm

I thought this crust was a little too salty. Next time I wouldn’t add all the salt.

29. SMC permalink
    August 26, 2011 10:51 pm

I had never made quiche before so was TERRIFIED to even attempt it. I found this recipe online and it turned out perfectly. My husband said it was one of the best things I’ve ever made and has begged me to make more. I have made more and have found that you don’t have to add the exact ingredients listed. I have also sauteed other veggies together with some breakfast sausage and it’s turned out just as good. Thank you for the recipe!

30. rosie permalink
    October 27, 2011 4:43 pm

thanks! the crust recipe sounds great & it’s just what i was looking for! great tips as well!

31. January 1, 2012 3:47 pm

Back here again. Last time it worked out quite well…

32. March 10, 2012 5:27 pm

It was good. Not yet what I’m looking for for my taste, but I will make it again and would not turn down seconds!

33. Carol permalink
    July 11, 2012 11:06 am

I’m going to make a quiche this morning, this recipe sounds good. I’ve always used egg beaters or egg whites when I make quiche, it makes for a healthier dish :-)

34. Carol permalink
    July 12, 2012 12:33 am

My husband was very delighted I made a quiche today, I used this crust recipe. I put it in a tart pan, holy cow it was the best crust I’ve ever made! It’s a keeper :-)

July 12, 2012 7:40 am

So happy to hear that Carol! Thank you for commenting!
      ~Mary

• Carol permalink
        October 5, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Mary, I’ve been using your crust recipe since I discovered it online (July), it has become our families favorite!!!! My gf recently visited us, she was surprised how I knew crust/quiche recipe by memory, I’m over…..that’s saying something :-). Thank you again for sharing such a wonderful crust recipe. Chow :-)

October 5, 2012 6:55 pm

That’s music to my ears! Thank you so much for letting me know!
          ~ Mary

35. Carol permalink
    October 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Mary, today I made a sweet potato pie using your pie crust recipe. It was a major hit with my family :-)

October 30, 2012 9:04 pm

Fantastic! So glad to hear it!

36. November 12, 2012 1:33 am

I have been using this crust recipe for a while now and I love it! It always turns out good, even if you use whole wheat flour. I shared it on my most recent meal plan at rainbowdelicious.com. Thank you!

37. December 8, 2012 10:28 pm

I tried the recipe for the crust…( i used half cake-flour and half all purpose-flour)…it was delishhhhh….

38. Merilyn permalink
    February 27, 2013 11:27 pm

A man goes into a diner and sits in a booth. The pretty young waitress stops by and asks for his order. He looks her up and down and says he just stopped in for a quickie. She says she will come back when he is ready to order. She stops back by and again he askes for a quickie. She slapps him and walks away. The somewhat older waitress comes up and says, “Sir, are you going to order or what?” He again states that he just wants a quickie. She also slaps him and stalks away.
    The guy in the booth behind him says, ” Hey buddy… That is pronounced “Quiche”!”

39. March 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Just made it and it was the perfect crust!! Easy and not intimidating awesome recipe!

March 19, 2013 8:17 pm

HAPPY!
      So glad to hear it!/mary

March 24, 2013 2:46 pm

WOW! So many folks like the crust recipe. It came from the nuns in the Home Ec. department at St Catherine’s College many many years ago.

41. Sohna permalink
    April 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Can I make the crust a day before and freeze it?

April 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Just wrap it up tight and put it in the fridge./mary

42. Carolina permalink
    May 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Dear Katy, thank you for sharing your recipe, I treasure it quite a lot!

I never had such a pleasant experience enjoying a quiche, a bottle of wine and Caboom! Romantic dinner for hubby and me, and the best thing of all… No leftovers left behind!.

May 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for coming back and sharing!

43. Emily Thomas permalink
    July 16, 2013 3:37 pm

This was the tastiest recipe I’ve ever made! Thank you! I didn’t have light cream on hand so I used nonfat milk. I put foil over the quiche at 40 minutes in the oven and baked for 10 minutes longer to set the egg. What a beautiful vegetarian dish!

July 16, 2013 7:43 pm

SO glad you enjoyed it and came back to share it with us!

44. Monica permalink
    October 31, 2013 11:04 pm

Today, I read your recipe, saw your lovely pictures, made your quiche and LOVED it! This is the first time I ever made quiche and it was a super easy recipe to follow. I made 4 individual portions with the alternative bacon and almost half of the filling recipe was perfect for the 4 little molds. THANK YOU!!

45. February 22, 2014 8:32 pm

I tried your reciple today, and the crust turned out really great!
    Thanks for the clear instructions

1. uberVU - social comments
  2. Chicken Pot Pie | ynottony.com
  3. Spinach Quiche | The Broccolini Bunch
  4. Meal Plan: Fall Week 8 | Rainbow Delicious
  5. The Perfect Quiche Crust – In the Kitchen at the Blush Family Farm | Sovereign Living