Cauliflower Soup

October 21, 2009

Ear marked this one from my new issue of Clean Eating.  I’ll be making it again but skipping all the liquid and the blending and just have it as a side of cauliflower – it was mighty good – it was also mighty easy.

I warned John that all the fiber might give us gas so he took some Beano before hand, but neglected to give me any – poor boy suffered.

Also since this was our dinner I had to sneak in some diced cooked chicken for John’s serving – he needs/wants his protein – in meat form.  The magazine recommended some spiced chickpeas which sounded delightful, but I was out of time and all the additional spices, in my humble opinion, would take away from the soup itself.

Cauliflower Soup

In a soup pot over med-high heat saute` in some olive oil:

1 Large Onion Diced

2 tsp Turmeric

1 1/2 tsp Cardamom

1/4 tsp Saffron – optional

1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper

1 Tbsp Minced Garlic

when onion is limp, but not browned, stir in:

1 Head Cauliflower cored and chopped

1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard

3 Cups Chicken Stock

Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until very soft.

Puree in blender or with a hand held submersion blender.

If it’s too thick add some more stock.

1. October 21, 2009 9:56 pm

i haven’t gushed here lately, but i am ALWAYS DROOLING HERE DAILY!

2. October 21, 2009 10:04 pm

I’m big into soups lately. This looks great! I love the color, and it’s a light and healthy recipe too. My favorite!

3. October 21, 2009 10:31 pm

What a beautiful color! The spices you added would compliment cauliflower so nicely.

4. October 22, 2009 2:29 am

That sounds good. Great color too. I’ll try them when cauliflowers are in season.

5. tastyeatsathome permalink
    October 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Yummy mix of spices! Sounds great.

6. October 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Seriously – YOU AND ME BOTH…. when it comes to needing the BEENO!!! I hardly.. if ever… eat cabbage anymore because it’s worse than all other veggies! Ah ha ha!!! But I have definitely made this recipe before and it rocks!! Clean Eating is just such a good concept, I wish more people would jump on board! ha ha.

7. October 23, 2009 9:14 am

Great soup! And I like your idea of making it as a side dish. I make a smashed cauliflower dish and always play around with the seasoning. I love the flavors in this recipe.

8. cathycicek82 permalink
    November 8, 2009 8:35 pm

I just made it and it was delicious, I added some paprika and cumin also. Thank you so much for sharing:)

• foododelmundo permalink*
      November 8, 2009 9:30 pm

Glad you liked it and thank YOU for letting me know! I’ve got a head in the fridge (of cauliflower) and can’t decide if I make this again or try a new recipe.

9. November 22, 2009 9:36 am

this soup sounds like it would make a cold day seem nice and warm!