Bacon Wrapped Crab Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp

August 25, 2009

~ Wanda ~

I had these 25 yrs ago in Ensenada, Mexico for my brother-in-law’s b-day and we finally got around to preparing them at home.  They were as tasty as I remembered them to be!!

My sister lives in San Diego so the 3 of use drove down to Ensenada for Bill’s birthday because they wanted lobster… since lobster is not my favorite seafood I chose the shrimp stuffed with crab and wrapped in bacon….I’m sure we had a few Mexican beers to go with it and I would guess Dos XX….Yes it was at a restaurant but that’s asking a lot for me to remember the name…I am over 40 remember??

It is right on the beach and it was extremely cheap for a fresh seafood dinner…..It was great fun and since I grew up in MN it was the best seafood I had ever had!!!!  Bullheads don’t count as seafood…..

More Bacon Goodness:

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1/4 c mayonnaise

juice of 1/2 lemon

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp dried mustard

Blend all ingredients except shrimp and bacon

Peel and devein  shrimp, cut a little deeper so you can add stuffing

Stuff shrimp with crab mixture, wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

We par cooked our bacon in the micro for 1 min….

Grill or broil until bacon is cooked.

We grilled ours but you have to be careful of flame-ups.

A precision spray bottle came in handy.

1. August 26, 2009 6:59 am

I just got back from vacation and this is one of the first sites I could not wait to visit. Now, I see why!!!

Great recipe and pics. I can’t wait to try it!!!~

August 26, 2009 7:25 am

I trust you had a wonderful time and thank you for letting us know how much you enjoy the site – it really means a lot!

2. August 27, 2009 1:57 pm

Holy yum!! That looks amazing! I am having my SIL over for her birthday this weekend, and I believe this will be on the menu!

3. August 29, 2009 10:17 am

Did someone say bacon? And crab? And shrimp? You’re speaking my language!

4. August 29, 2009 10:18 am

it looks fantastic! and seems simple. you’ve got some good ideas!

5. curiousdomestic permalink
    August 29, 2009 10:20 am

I love things stuffed with other things, especially wrapped in bacon. Do people still say bombdiggity? Cuz that’s what that is!

6. August 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Those look so good, I love bacon, and my son’s favorite is shrimp!

7. August 30, 2009 7:13 am

that looks wonderful, bacon truly does give a dish and other foods an awesome flavor of it’s own.

8. August 31, 2009 5:58 am

Bacon, crab and shrimp all wrapped up together! It sounds great!

9. September 4, 2009 1:14 am

WTF!!!! This is a brilliant recipe, beats bacon wrapped hot dogs. I love bacon, cheers!

10. September 8, 2009 3:40 pm

Delicious! This bacon wrapped crab stuffed jumbo shrimp recipe is an absolute classic just the way you made it…grilling! Kudos!
    The only thing we don’t add is the salt. I feel the bacon is salty enough in itself and I use minced garlic instead of garlic powder, but ppl can get the drift to add and omit as they aim to please their own taste buds. Kudos! for getting such a great dish going and best yet..on the grill! Thanks for sharing! Bacon plus crab plus shrimp and grill=Excellent!

11. Steve M permalink
    August 19, 2010 9:39 am

I grew up in San Diego and that restaurant you went to is called La Costa. It’s one of my favorite restaurants of all time (there’s two of them, the one in Ensenada and one in TJ. They’re both good, but it’s worth driving out to Ensenada).

My family’s been going there ever since I was a kid, and I woke up this morning with a craving for this exact dish! I can’t wait to give the recipe a shot this weekend, thanks for putting it out there!

• Wanda permalink
      August 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks for the name of the Restaurant….I would love to get back there again.
      I hope you enjoy the recipe!

12. J.Rumplestein permalink
    April 30, 2012 6:26 pm

…it’s called Papagayo…..Shrimp stuffed with lobster, wrapped in bacon and deep fried….my favorite. Don’t get down to Rosarita that often any more.