Blackberry, Wild Rice & Barley Salad

June 23, 2009

~ Mary ~

Summer is a time for salads and instead of sticking with the same old, same old I do try to change things up from time to time.

This salad has a delicate flavor – nothing is shouting – it all blends together well and if you have it at room temp it really brings out the nuttiness of the grains. To tell you the truth you don’t even need the berries, but they do add a nice touch.

Sorry I can’t say where I got the recipe – some clipping I’ve had for years and never wrote down the source.  Just one note though – plan ahead because the barley and wild rice do take 45-55 minutes to cook and then they have to cool.

Blackberry, Wild Rice & Barley Salad

Cook seperatly in chicken broth and cool:

1 Cup Wild Rice – makes about 3 Cups

1 Cup Barley – makes about 3 Cups

Saute in some butter:

2 Cups Sliced Leeks

1 Tbsp Minced Garlic

Mix together:

2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar

2 tsp Dijon Mustard

Mix all ingredients together and add:

Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste

1 to 2 Cups Black or Blue Berries

Handfull of Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley

Handfull of Chopped Chives or Green Onions

1. June 23, 2009 6:40 pm

That is one great salad. Has everything I love in it!

2. June 23, 2009 8:23 pm

This looks fabulous!

3. June 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Hey There!
    I just was checking out your site and I’m loving what I’m seeing. This salad looks great! Summer is officially here. :-)

4. June 24, 2009 7:39 am

I’m trying to think of wild rice salad as well.

5. pat permalink
    June 24, 2009 11:45 am

This looks terrific! I think I have all the ingredients, except the blackberries,
    to try it tonight. Maybe I’ll substitute blue berries!

6. pat permalink
    June 24, 2009 11:47 am

Oops! No leeks. We better go shopping. I’m set on this salad for supper! It looks so good!

7. June 25, 2009 5:22 pm

At first I was a bit thrown off by the idea of a rice salad with berries but when I looked at the recipe, I loved it! It just screams “summer” all over! I would probably add a bit of honey to sweeten it up too.

8. June 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Oh YUM!! I want this for dinner tonight.. or lunch.. I’ll even eat it for dessert!!

9. July 9, 2009 4:27 pm

This looks fantastic! I love wild rice, and this combination sounds great.

10. cookin' on a yacht permalink
    June 16, 2010 12:46 am

My job is to cook for crew on a yacht and I have been seeking out some new easy, healthy and delicious recipes an I just love this site!!! Everything I am looking for! Thanks for all these wonderful creations.

June 16, 2010 6:24 am

I want your job!!
      So glad you like some of our healthier options, we do try to stay on the lighter side, but are not always successful ;-)

11. Maria permalink
    September 22, 2011 2:03 pm

This salad was a BIG hit at home. Definitely a keeper! Thanks! :)

September 24, 2011 8:05 am

Wonderful! John hates it, so I have to make it when he’s away. Maybe I should send him on a trip ;-)